Friday, July 25, 2008

Adam Wants to Work for the Postal Service

As one of the purposes of this blog is to document the cute things that the twins do, I just had to share a snippet from the other night. I was downstairs watching tv, thinking that the boys were finally asleep. I heard the sound of a door slamming upstairs and thought that I had forgotten to close one and that the wind had slammed it shut. Then a couple of minutes later, I heard another door slam shut. Okay, this means that there are twins on the loose. So I head upstairs to find out who the culprit is. I open the first bedroom door and there is Adam, awake and staring at me. He immediately asks me, "Mommy what is Luke's middle name? I say David. He then asks me, no what is is whole name, and I say Luke David Alfred. He says, Good that is what I wrote on his letter. To which I said, what letter. Adam replied, the letter I just delivered to him." So I go to the other room and look in and see Luke, sound asleep, with a piece of paper with scribbles on it (Adam's letter) across his chest. So it all comes together for me. Adam has been busy writing and delivering letters to his brother when he should have been asleep. I had to laugh but also told Adam that the postal service does not operate at bedtime.

A couple of days earlier Adam had also delivered a letter to the neighbours next door. He ran out one morning, said I have to deliver this letter to Funny Guy (our friend next door). So he runs up their driveway and sticks the letter under the morning paper. Later, my husband was next door and saw Adam's letter sitting on the counter. He let them in on their secret pen pal.

Too funny. He and Luke are still checking the post box at least six times per day. What is it about letters lately??

2 comments:

Nance said...

Hi Michele
Adam might be interested in reading this book:
The Jolly Postman (Hardcover)
by Allan Ahlberg (Author), Janet Ahlberg (Illustrator)
It has real letters inside. My Mum came across it as an early childhood teacher and said it is very good.
Smiles
Nance

Karrie said...

Love it. At least he's interested in writing. Can't get Will to hold a pencil- he likes Legos apparently.