Sunday, August 3, 2008

Taylor (My Niece) Gets Baptized





















On Saturday, the 2nd August, the Alfred family traveled to Bakersfield to see my niece Taylor get baptized. The baptism itself was not scheduled until later in the day. But the event proved to be a great reason to stage a mini Luke/Merta family reunion. My Luke cousins, some whom I have not seen for many years, just all happened to be in LA for the summer. So my Aunt Joan pitched the idea that we should all gather for Taylor's baptism and also spend the day together at Kari's place. It was so nice to see my Aunt's, Uncle and cousins again. Their kids are great. For the most part, I have not been able to meet any of their children. So it was a great day to see how everyone has grown up. I have really missed being apart from all of these family things. Taylor's baptism was really good too. The boys of course were completely wired up from the days activities. And probably also from eating too many brownies and cookies. That did not help. So we get to the chapel for the baptism. I helped my sister out by looking after Bella. She can be a little bit BAD at these types of events so I thought that I would do my best to keep her and the boys quiet. As a side note, my boys have taken to hero worshipping the Bushling boys so it was perhaps too much to ask of them to sit quietly when both the Bushling boys and their cousin Austin were sitting behind them! Needless to say, I don't think they would have received any points for reverence. But the funny thing that Luke kept asking was when Jesus was going to come into the chapel. Probably gleaned that concept from my answer to his question, "Is this Jesus' house (meaning the church building) to which I replied, yes it is." So he was getting a bit disappointed that Jesus had not put in an appearance. Lucky for me, the video shown after the baptisms was the first vision. Which of course has Jesus in it. Luke was very happy to see him as was his cousin Bella who kept pointing to the screen and saying, "There is Jesus". Luke's comment was that Jesus flopped his hand (when he pointed to Joseph Smith). He is observant! Bella's crowning achievement at the baptism was when all the kids were invited to come closer to the font to witness the baptism. Bella races up to the front and then turns around to her mother and raised her dress up and says, "Mama, my diaper come off ", as she is taking off one of the tabs on her diaper. My sister moved pretty quick to head off that disaster I must say. The boys fell asleep on the way home. Adam was so tired that when I took him upstairs and changed him for bed he lifted his arms and legs but never opened his eyes. A good day is had by all when the boys conk out in the car!

1 comment:

palacios5 said...

Thanks for making sure no one forgets the entertainment at the baptism. I can't say that it was a spiritual experience but defianetly one I will not forget!!